The Extension Directorate aims to serve the general public through non-formal education and promotional activities to disseminate knowledge-based technical information and to transfer appropriate technologies. It is through extension that the University shares to the general public its intellectual resources of ideas, information, research results generated, and technologies developed.
MMSU, through the Extension Directorate, shall endeavor to make information and technologies work for people by extending to the general public or specific target clientele its available material and human resources, intellectual capabilities, meaningful research outputs, and appropriate technological inventions and discoveries. These resources shall be shared to induce and realize holistic, profound, and balanced transformation of the beneficiaries and their communities geared towards sustainable development.
Through a deliberate extension service/technology promotion and utilization program, MMSU shall become a University for all by contributing significantly to the development of empowered citizens equipped with dynamic rational decision-making and action-oriented capabilities who work more productively and efficiently for improved socio-economic life and sustainable development.
Functions and Objectives
With the mentioned goals of the Extension Directorate, its functions and objectives are to: class="uk-margin-bottom"
- Train Local Government Units (LGU), Non-government Organizations (NGO) and Peoples Organizations (PO) staff along extension/technology promotion and utilization and allied subjects in development.
- Train end-beneficiaries of development, i.e., farmers, fisher folks, housewives, and out-of-school youths (OSY) on social technologies, livelihood opportunities, and other needed concerns for development.
- Organize and/or strengthen local POs as catalysts of action for development.
- Train various professionals to refresh, update, and enhance their capabilities along their fields and professions.
- Organize review classes for board examination-bound professions in line with the academic specializations of the University.
- Promote the dissemination, adoption, and utilization of appropriate technologies especially those developed and produced by the University by establishing local resource centers of information, technology and livelihood; conducting demonstration and pilot projects; putting-up mobile techno-exhibits; providing material support through seed and animal dispersal activities; extending technical assistance; and using different media channels.
- Operate and maintain and/or co-manage a training facility to serve as a venue for the conduct of training and continuing education activities.
- Establish special projects on various commodities or concerns to develop replicable models or prototypes in extension delivery.
- Publish, exchange, collect, store, and distribute media materials on development information and technologies.
- Develop or co-develop a University directory of subject matter specialists (SMS) and skilled workers (SW) to serve as quick reference in indorsing university personnel for advisory and consultancy services in extension.
- Assist academic staff and students in the conduct of field practice, laboratory, and on-the-job training in extension, agricultural education, community development, rural development, and other related fields.
- Conduct extension cum research activities aimed at improving extension service delivery.
- Document, assess, monitor, and evaluate activities for comprehensive data management and analysis as well as for input to re-planning activities.
Commitment, professionalism, accountability, innovativeness and creativity, teamwork, productivity and impact, and excellence.
- Harness the potentials, strengthen the capabilities, and develop the competencies of the target clientele directed at improving human welfare and community life through trainings and continuing education;
- Enhance the transfer of appropriate technologies using speedy and cost-effective means for the solution of contemporary problems and in response to the priority needs of the target beneficiaries;
- Empower people through institution building especially the promotion of community-based organizations like cooperatives and peoples organizations;
- Establish a strong mechanism of research-extension-client-other partners interface to accelerate a more efficient and effective delivery of location-specific technologies to various client-groups; and
- Promote equal access to information and services through deliberate social marketing strategies and innovative and sustained advocacy.