College of Arts and Sciences
For 2016, each Department conducted their banner extension programs. Likewise, the faculty members responded to the requests of various government and non-government agencies that needed their expertise by providing consultancy services. As consultants, the faculty members served in various capacities such as resource speakers, reviewers, evaluators, coordinators, facilitators, and judges of competitions among others.
Department of Computer Science
Outreach activities allow the students, faculty and research staff to apply the new knowledge they have generated to address specific social development problems. This year is considered to be the busiest year for extension in the DCS. Seven (7) ICT enhancement trainings were organized and co-organized by the Department; two (2) community outreach activities; nine (9) services as official tabulators; and five (5) ICT tools were developed or implemented.
Department of Mathematics
- For the Department of Mathematics, the contract signing of the Weavers’ Cooperative and MMSU for the project “Developing New Patterns and Designs for the Local Weaving Industry in Paoay, Ilocos Norte”, and Survey of Weavers in La Union and Baguio, was conducted.
Department of Languages and Literature
- The Department of Languages and Literature conducted workshops on Journalism and Reading in Eulalo Siazon Memorial Elementary School, La Paz, Laoag City. The department together with the Student Council conducted the extension activity in coordination with the La Paz Professionals’ Association during the launching of the La Paz Torre Reading Center on January 3 at La Paz, Laoag City.
Department of Biology
- Oplan Saguip Quiaoit River and Coastal Clean- up
- Through the Coastal Clean-Up activity, the department engaged participants in the removal of debris from the shoreline; kept them aware of the importance of clean and healthy coastal environment; and enhanced their awareness of the extent of marine debris crisis and its adverse effect on people and environment. Two coastal cleanup activities were conducted: in Poblacion 1 and 2, Pagudpud, Ilocos Norte conducted on Feb. 24, and in Currimao Bay on Sept 19. The Department of Biology also conducted an activity on Controlling Stream Bank Erosion through Bamboo Planting.
- Division Trainers’ Training on Basic Biological Techniques
- The training enhanced the knowledge and developed the skills of 35 participants on the various biological techniques for investigatory projects usually practiced and taught in basic and tertiary education.
Department of Social Sciences
- Two faculty of the Department of Social Sciences and two BA Sociology students actively participated in the MMSU-Enactus Team activities this year. The following were conducted as part of the activities of MMSU Enactus:
- A baseline survey for beneficiaries of the Enactus project at La Virgen Milagrosa, Badoc, Ilocos Norte on Feb 24-25
- Launching of the Souvenir Store of the La Virgen Milagrosa beneficiaries as part of the ENACTUS activity on Mar 23 in Badoc, Ilocos Norte
- Meeting with the ENACTUS Philippine Management with six students and two advisers on Apr 30, 2016 at Vigan, Ilocos Sur
- Supervised and conducted the following:
- Site visit of projects in La Virgen Milagrosa, Badoc
- Courtesy-call and site visit to the new BJMP Batac Warden, Mr. Sapaden
- A Team-Building Workshop among children of the beneficiaries of the project in Las Virgen Milagrosa, Badoc
- Writeshop of the MMSU Enactus Team for the project script and annual report as a requirement for the 2016 ENACTUS National Competition, May 27-30, UTC and CAS
- Selection of MMSU ENACTUS presenters for the 2016 ENACTUS National Competition on June 06, 1:00 pm CAS.
- Finalized script and annual report for the MMSU-ENACTUS Team presentation, Jun 7-17, CAS Accreditation Room
- The Mock Presentation of the ENACTUS Team, Jun 30; 1:00 pm UTC.
- As members of the MMSU Enactus team, the following activities were conducted and participated:
- Attendance to the 2016 National ENACTUS Competition, SMX Convention Center, SM Mall of Asia, Pasig City, Jul 08-09;
- Emergence as the CHAMPION of the 2016 ENACTUS National Competition, SMX Convention Center, July 8-9, 2016
- Preparation of documents for the Project Audit of the ENACTUS Team in preparation for participation of the MMSU-ENACTUS to the World Cup in Toronto, Canada on Sept 25-30, 2016.
- Supervision and attendance to the Audit of the Philippine ENACTUS, Jul 23-24, BJMP and Virgen Milagrosa, Badoc, Ilocos Norte .
- Meeting with the officers of the La Virgen Milagrosa Seaweed Production and Processing Association and personnel of the BJMP-City of Batac to hand the donation of the MMSU ENACTUS of Php 5,000.00 each, from the incentive won by the Team in the 2016 National ENACTUS Competition, Nov. 04, 2016
- Conduct of the ENACTUS Orientation Seminar cum Alumni Networking and presented the ENACTUS: What it is all about? Its Projects and Programs; and presided of the meeting of the ENACTUS Alumni
Department of Physical Education
- The Department of Physical Education conducted a series of seminar-workshops on Festival Management in the municipality of Burgos, Ilocos Norte on November 12, 13, 19, 20 and December 10, 27 and 29. Trainees included LGU employees
Department of Physical Sciences
- The Department this year, was involved in the Internship Program for Philippine Science High School students.
In addition to the various activities spearheaded by the different departments, the College hosted twelve national conferences and seminars this year. As such, the various departments played important roles in organizing and coordinating the implementation of the activities as required by the agencies or organizations involved. In hosting, the University provided its counterpart, either through human or material resources.